Beat the Summer Hair Blues - Tips to Properly Care for Your Curly Hair
Believe it our not, summer hair is not as challenging as you think!
|Care for Your CURLS this Summer! |
| Hi! I am Mahisha Dellinger, Founder of CURLS, the first complete line of hair care products for multi ethnic women (and girls). |
I am proud to offer these products to CurlyHairSalon.com readers I want you to protect your delicate curls during these smoldering summer months and treat your tresses to the best in curly hair care.
Wake Up Your Curls This Summer!
Now with the summer here, I would like to offer you some assistance caring for your summer hair.
It's our favorite time of year – Summer! With it comes the daily assault of taxing chlorine compounds, drying sea salt, and damaging sun rays – not to mention all of the havoc everyone does to their hair from daily styling. If there is a time to be extra gentle on hair, it is now. Multi-cultural hair is delicate and should be treated like a fine silk blouse.
Chlorine and salt water both dry, discolor, and damage hair. Chlorine binds to the hairs cuticle layer, striping it of its natural protein, and fills in gaps in the hair shaft with its damaging chemicals. Mineral deposits in salt water make hair brassy and brittle. Both, chlorine and salt water severely dehydrates hair. Imagine how these elements affect delicate curly, kinky, wavy, natural and/or relaxed hair which tends to be much drier than straight hair.
Here are a few summertime tips to help you keep damaged, split, brittle, frizzy hair at bay, so you can enjoy the summer without worry.
Summer Hair Care Tips:
1. Before entering a pool, lake, ocean, or any body of water, drench your hair with water and apply a coat of conditioner to the hair. I have created a natural pre and post conditioner, Milk & Honey Hair Smoothie, to help protect and replenish summer hair. Made from pure coconut milk, avocado, olive oil and honey, this delectable delight will fill up the gaps in your hair shaft and act as a barrier from the chlorinated water.
2. I recommend wearing a swim cap as often as possible. Using a cap, that securely protects the hair, is always the best option. If you are not one who likes wearing swim caps, give try the Milk & Honey Smoothie Recipe (see below). Apply this to your hair before your summertime fun. You'll love how wonderfully moisturized your hair feels after applying this natural hair recipe!
3. Immediately after swimming in chlorinated or salt water, purify your curls with a clarifying shampoo. Our new
Pure Curls Clarifying Shampoo
was formulated to rid the hair of these curl killing chemicals. It is the ideal summer cleanser to gently, and effectively remove chlorine. Pineapple extract nourishes as grapefruit extract adds sheen while removing buildup from unwanted chemicals. Follow up with a deep conditioner. I recommend
CURLS Coconut Sublime
Curl Ecstasy Hair Tea Conditioner
when you need to deep treat your hair.
4. Over-shampooing and under-conditioning are common culprits to dry and frizzy hair, especially in the summer months. Shampooing more than once a week is not recommended on naturally curly hair. On "shampoo-less" days, simply do a conditioning rinse - rinse hair to remove styling products (this is when using the right products that are water soluble come in). Apply an ample amount of your favorite
comb through, rinse, and proceed with styling. Doing so will pump much needed moisture back into your summer hair without stripping away essential nutrients, rinse away unnecessary dirt and oil, and give you a fresh, clean start.
5. Avoid products that contain synthetic oils such as mineral and/or petrolatum oil, as these sit on the hair, blocking out moisture further dehydrating your hair. Also avoid products that contain drying alcohol, such as hair spray, mousse and some gels. Instead, opt for a curl creams and lotions. I recommend our
as well as
which are big hits! They all combat frizz, enhance curl formation, and leave a soft and natural curl hold without a greasy, sticky, or hard feeling.
6. Pay special attention to the ends of your hair; after all, they are the oldest part of the hair. Mix a bit of a conditioner with a natural oil, apply, and comb through ends; leave in for extra protection. This is a great summer hair life saver!
7. Hydrate curls DAILY...this is very important!
Quenched Curls Moisturizer
is an excellent moisturizer! It softens the hair, eases comb ability, moisturizes and conditions, preps it for the next step, and leaves a little goodness behind. Use this daily, under any styling product you use. Consider this "underwear for your hair. It is a great "2nd day hair" reviver as it tames "bed head."
RECIPE: Milk & Honey Hair Smoothie
Pre/Post Swim Conditoner:
This is a great summer hair recipe!
• 1 can of pure coconut milk (rich moisturize - hydrates, conditions and de-frizzes hair)
• 1 ripe avocado (natural source of protein - chlorine robs the hair of protein)
• 2 tablespoons of pure honey (conditions and adds sheen)
• 2 tablespoons of olive oil (hydrophobic oil that acts as a barrier to chlorine and salt water)
Add ingredients to blender. Mix at high speed until your concoction reaches a smoothie consistency.
Store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. You can warm up your hair smoothie in the microwave before next application...just enough do de-chill.
• Feel free to substitute the olive oil for any natural oil of your choice.
• Add more oil for extra dry hair, e.g. 1 tablespoon.
• Add more honey for hair that needs more sheen, e.g. 2 tablespoons.
Instructions for Use:
• Section hair into 4 segments.
• Generously apply evenly to hair, from root to ends concentrating on ends...as they are the most prone to damage.
• Smooth hair into a protective style (e.g. braided ponytail, or bun).
• Enjoy your day at the pool, lake, or ocean!
*** PERFECT YOUR CURLS NOW! ***
Find out more about CURLS products here.
Visit home page from the summer hair page.